Thursday, August 10, 2006

Day Ten - (cops)

I hit the platform at 7:13p. I made it a point to note the time. I had a stressful day and I was about to shake it. I programmed myself to start out slow build in slowely. I strummed easily with light crescendos and very soft and low volume warm up vocals. Before I knew it, 2 NYPD strolled apathetically from the opposite end of the platform. I felt timid . I watched the male cop lift his untied shoestring to the wooden bench failing 2 or 3 times like a 3 year old. I laughed inside. They cornered me. The vertically challenged male spoke softly and politely. He told me it was illegal to play music on the platform asked me to leave. I began packing up and challenged the official. He defended his request blaming it on his boss. I asked for his business card with his badge number. He politely replied “I don’t have one, but I’ll write…..” I tuned him out. What an ass hole to hassle me. I knew I was abiding the law, with the exception of my special Tropicana surprise.

I caught the next train back to Manhattan. I couldn’t decide if I would challenge them further by coming back in 20 minutes. As the train pulled out, I notice the NYPD pair walking the opposite direction. I barely made eye contact whit them. They were definitely checking up to see if I left.

I tried the 14th St Station. I was so angry; I couldn’t recover from the dissapointment. I ran into another musician. Gonzalo. gonzalosilva.com was written on his little flyers. I waited for a break in his set and pleaded my case. He told me about both of his jail experiences, the latter being shorter because he was “already in the system.” He then told me that the law allows me to play so long as it is not amplified. However, if a particular officer wants to challenge me, he/she will likely win. They can give me a summons, which will likely be thrown out, but could result in numerous time consuming visits to the court house.

Whatever.

I made $0.00 dollars.

No comments: