It’s god damn depressing how my chops have suffered. When I first moved to NYC, fresh off the 2001 tour, I was probably at my strongest vocally and acoustically. I went to lay down an acoustic track the other day and I was surprised at how my timing was off. (but I sure am able to type this sentence with comfort and ease)
I’ll tell you one thing, it sure is comforting to know that I am NOT the next American Idol. I was watching that show a few weeks ago, admiring the strength and pleasant timbre of some of their voices. I also noted at how easily a sour note can stand out when you’re that good. I had to reassure and remind myself that I am not competing with vocalists at that level. I’m more of a talking heads robert smith type. I’m a producer and a visionary. It was Jay Ray at Quad Studios that finally convinced me to stop worrying about whether or not I’m singing in tune, and that delivering with confidence and honesty would win more respect. Now that I’m thinking about it, you know, Brittany and Justin aren’t great singers either, but damn they can dance.
I’m really not getting the same enjoyment out of singing and playing guitar that I used to. Layering instruments in pro-tools is still great fun and gives a sense of accomplishment, but when I pick up the bass or guitar and can’t get rhythm I used to, it’s painful.
I’m kicking off a project in April. I have imported some great drums tracks and arranged them to my ear. I plan to track down as many musicians as I can that I’ve met and worked with over the years. It’s all on my laptop, so I will go to them with a mic and a line in. I’ll get them all to lay something down without advance screening. I’m looking for a snapshot of their instincts, and then al follow up with direction. I’ll start with Roby Duron on guitar and Daniel (Lawlor) Joseph on Bass. Hopefully, against my drum tracks, a song will begin to form. It would be great if I don’t play a lick on it, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to resist. Next, I’d love to track some vocals from Rhonda Robison, Katie Strand, Carlos Olmeda, Justin Self, Siri Dyal, and my wife, Jennifer Hyjack. I plan to get Dan and Roby to contribute vocally as well. I’m really excited to get Michael Ellis, Mark Loperfido, Brian Geltner, Derek Walkington, Kid Sic and Johnny Ciccolella to lay down some love, but I suspect they will be hard to pin down. I get chills just thinking about it. It would be a gigantic stylistic universe. The Vocals will be the most difficult AND the most fun. In some cases, I probably wont let anyone hear what others have done. We’ll compose words on the spot and capture that moment. I may use verses from one singer and a chorus from another. It will be a musical mosaic collage of people destined to collide.
No comments:
Post a Comment